When it comes to dressing up, and depending on the time of year it is, we usually think of a multitude of characters. If you are currently looking for ideas for Halloween parties, one of the girls’ favorite characters is the girl from the exorcist. This costume is one of the most terrifying that can be chosen if your intention is to cause fear. One of the main qualities of this costume is that it is a very simple design in terms of clothing. The difficulty lies in the makeup.
As you probably know, this costume comes from the 1970 movie The Exorcist, which became famous thanks to this terrifying demon girl played by Linda Blair. The good thing about this costume is that there are so many other very interesting characters within the movie that can serve as inspiration for you and your friends to make a group costume.
Is dressing up as the girl from the exorcist difficult?
The truth is that this costume is really simple. The difficulty lies in the makeup. If you are thinking of dressing up as this terrifying girl, don’t hesitate and keep reading this post. If you want to find more fun and scary ideas for your next costumes, you can read the following dotcoms article on how to make homemade costumes.
Instructions to dress up as the girl from the exorcist
- Find the right clothes. This terrifying girl is wearing a long nightgown, very simple and without drawings. The typical nightgown that girls wore in the 70s. To make it more like the one in the movie, look for a nightgown below the knee and some ruffle or simple detail on the chest. If the neck closes with a button, all the better. Do you remember those nightgowns that your grandmother used to wear? Well, it is precisely this type of nightgown that we have to look for. If you and your grandmother share a similar size, you can ask her for one of the ones that she no longer uses for the costume. Remember that it does not have to be modern. The film is from the 70’s and must have that look of clothes from back then. If you can’t find one that fits the one in the costume, you can make it yourself from a sheet by pulling the pattern online.
- Pay special attention to makeup. That is precisely where the key to this costume lies. To be as scary as little Regan (the name of the girl from the exorcist). Prepare the base to make up your face. You need a creamy white base to bring the girl from the exorcist to life. It is important that you use a muted tone, not excessively white, so that you can easily work on it later when you go to make the scars. Smooth foundation all over face, including eye sockets and dark circles. This will help unify your skin color so you can continue adding other tones later.
- Make the scars on the girl’s face from the exorcist. You can look for ready-made solutions in costume stores. There you will find scars that you can paste on your face and very small bottles with fake blood. If you decide to do the scars yourself, you can learn how to do it in the video that you will find a little further down in this article.
- Tease your hair or buy a wig. Regan is characterized by having dirty, sticky and much damaged hair. You have to think that in the film the protagonist has been possessed by the devil and she spends all her time tied to the headboard of her bed. To give your hair this touch you can use honey, let it dry and create a kind of dreadlocks. If you don’t want your hair to be damaged by this hairstyle, it’s best to buy a long black wig and tangle it up as much as you can. If your hair is short, you should also use a long wig, as one of the most representative elements of this costume is long and tangled hair.
- Look for terrifying colored lenses. To show that you are truly possessed by the devil, nothing better than fantasy contact lenses that resemble the eyes of a lizard or that have a somewhat strange color. You can look at the photos of the film on the internet to find the most similar lenses. If you want your costume to be even scarier, you can paint your teeth black to make them look rotten. Use food coloring that stays on for a few hours.
- He wears much worn house slippers. Look for some in any market and spoil them as much as you can. If you are inside a house you can go barefoot or with stockings, so that the costume is even more realistic.
What do you need to dress up as the girl from the exorcist?
- A typical nightgown from the 70s.
- Fantasy lenses.
Tips for dressing up as the girl from the exorcist
- Try to imitate the character as faithfully as possible, it’s the beauty of Halloween, but think that the most important thing of all is to have fun no matter how you dress. Do not forget to enjoy this fun party to the fullest.
- If you have a boyfriend or a friend, you can ask him to make a group costume with you imitating Father Damien, the exorcist who manages to save Regan in the movie.