Witch costumes are the most common for Halloween. It is inevitable to go out on the street that day and run into one. There are many types of witches. Sexy, crazy, funny, and terrifying. The costume will depend on the kind of witch you want to be.
Generally, this type of costume is usually found at a reasonable price in stores. However, if you are one of those people who like to do things for themselves and also want to save some money, here we will give you different tips on how you can transform into each of these witches, depending on the occasion and your personality. The witch costume has another characteristic: it has many details, but you don’t have to worry! This is your lucky day! Here we will give you all the tips you need to know to steal all eyes at parties.
To make this costume, you will need the following materials:
- A tight black dress or, failing that, a long black skirt and a long-sleeved black blouse.
- This step is perhaps the easiest. Cut the skirt to make a leg opening at the length you prefer. The longer, the sexier it will be. You can do it in front, but you can also do two, one on each side of the legs.
- Cut the sleeves into strips making fringes. You can play with the shape of the bangs as you prefer. They can be pointed, you can curl them with the same scissors, they can be carelessly long, etc.
Your witch costume is now ready, but as we have already told you, it is made up of many more elements, such as the hat.
Instructions to dress up as a witch
- To make it, you will need to have the following materials on hand:
- Black cardboard.
- Two scissors
- Silver glitter.
- The first thing you should do is cut the cardboard into the shape of a cone, so the cardboard must be large enough for your hat to be very large and pointy. Remember that the hole that remains below must be in accordance with your head. Otherwise, it will fall off every so often, or it will be very large.
- Glue the ends of the cone with silicone and let it dry well.
- Make small cuts around the edge of the cone and fold them up, making a kind of tabs. This is to be able to glue the edge of the hat.
- While the cone continues to dry, draw a large circular shape on the cardboard about 10 centimeters away. Draw another circle again. This is to make the brim of the hat. After you have traced it, cut it out and glue it to the edge of the cone, taking care that the excess silicone remains at the bottom of the hat. Don’t wrap yourself up if you get a little full at the top. It has a solution.
- You can glue the entire edge and sprinkle silver glitter on it, and nothing happens. Fixed issue. What was once an accident is now part of the decoration?
- Now that you have your hat ready, we will proceed to decorate. Draw stars of different sizes on the foil. If you are good at drawing, you can make little pumpkins or spiders. They don’t have to have so many details, just the outline and some holes like the eyes and mouth, in case you want to make them.
- Cut them out and glue them, distributing them well throughout the hat and let them dry.
- The materials are the following:
- Aluminum foil.
- Scotch tape.
- Old Shoes.
- Thin cardboard
- Black acrylic paint.
- Some details to decorate, such as large buttons, buckles, etc.
- Use the aluminum foil to shape the toe of the shoe, reminiscent of the classic curve of witch shoes. You can’t forget about that.
- Cut out the thin cardboard to make the flap for the shoes.
- Line the entire shoe with newspaper and glue to make it even. Let it dry for an hour.
- Repeat the process with the other shoe and let it dry as well.
- When the shoes are dry, paint them with black acrylic paint and ensure good coverage. If necessary, apply a second layer. There is no rush. The important thing is that the work looks good on you, and not too many details are noticed.
- When the shoes are dry, you can place the details you want and have them on hand like golden buckles to simulate the typical elf-type shoes. You can also place studs, large buttons, zippers, etc. Let your imagination fly.
Another very important aspect of this costume is the makeup, and this will also vary depending on the type of witch you want to be. This time we will give you two very common options.
Makeup for a sexy witch costume
- The first thing you should do is collect the hair with a rubber band to be able to do the makeup comfortably.
- Cover the entire face with foundation, the whitest you can get to give a pale and terrifying look. Cover the ears and neck to make the makeup look more real.
- With a black eye crayon, outline the upper edge of the eye. Try to make a tail at the end, so the eye looks more Chinese. Remember that this makeup must be exaggerated; you want to look like a witch, not like the princess of the party.
- Add silver eye shadow to the mobile eyelid and blend with a brush.
- Apply black shadow on the outer half of the eyelid and follow the same tail shape you did with the black crayon.
- Add white eye shadow on the upper part of the eyelid up to the eyebrow and blend well.
- Line the lower part of the eye with a black crayon.
- Put on false eyelashes.
- Mark your eyebrows well with black crayons and give them the expression you want by slightly curving them.
- Do not apply blush.
- Paint the lips black; with this, you will complete your costume.
What do you need to dress up as a witch?
Scary witch makeup
- Repeat collecting the hair and painting the face with a light-colored base.
- Black eye shadow accentuates your dark circles and blends nicely where they end.
- Only outline the part below the eyes with a black crayon.
- Highlight the eyebrows with black color and join them as if they were a single eyebrow. Remember that this makeup is not sexy at all. Instead, you want to look as much like a real witch as possible. So the uglier, the better.
- Draw a horrible wart on the tip of your nose with a brown crayon. If you want it to be more real, you can stick a piece of plasticize.
- Paint the lips with black lipstick.
- To finish, paint one of the front teeth black.
With this makeup, you will scare more than one. Remember that the more exaggerated the makeup, the better you will look. In this case, less is more does not apply.
Another accessory to complement the witch costume is the classic broom. You can buy it already made or make your own. Here we will give you an idea of how you can do it.
- Materials are:
- A natural stick. It doesn’t have to be completely straight, as witches’ brooms are not.
- Straw or dry grass.
- Brown rope.
This is very simple. Trim the straw all to the same length. Please consider that it is a lot and join it to the stick with the rope. Give it several turns and adjust it well, so it does not come loose or disarm. One thing you should be aware of is that this is a mere accessory. You will not be able to sweep with it or anything like that because the broom will have reached that far.
Tips for dressing up as a witch
These are basically the accessories needed to form the witch costume. Of course, remember that you can play with your imagination and make some variations to the suggestions that we have given you. For example, you could wear black striped tights with neon colors like green, orange, or purple, depending on your preference.
In this case, if you want to wear pantyhose, we recommend that the skirt of your suit be shorter. It could spike above the knee or even a tight leather miniskirt.
You can also vary the footwear by using one in your closet that is pointed and tall. It would be great if they were patents, although we already asked for too much.
Another thing you should take into account is the hair. You can wear a much-disheveled wig with white strands of hair simulating some gray hair, or you can use your own hair and dye some strands with temporary paint. If you have long hair, you can flat iron it to make it straight, which goes very well with the sexy witch costume.
Also, remember that makeup also lenses itself to change. You can draw little spider webs at the bottom of the eyes or tiny spiders on the cheek. What really matters is being creative and letting your imagination run wild. You will be saving money and having fun with these crafts simultaneously.
You can adapt these ideas for girls’ costumes, perhaps using tulle for the skirt and giving them less sober and more fun makeup with colors like orange or purple that also goes well with the costume’s theme. It only remains that you dare to do it and enjoy the experience.